Ten Questions for Stan Fomin (Cates-Fomin Project)
1. How old were you when you first started playing keys?
I was 5 when I started playing accordion and then ... on to piano!
2. Who was/is your biggest musical inspiration?
Willis Conover, host of the Voice of America's "Jazz Hour", Oscar Peterson' records (in my teens while living in former USSR), Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Fourplay, Jeff Lorber, George Duke, Chick Corea, Yellow Jackets, Bobby McFerrin, All Stars Smooth Jazz.
3. Where do you make your home?
4. Do you have any pets?
2 cats (sphinxes) - Urban and Biana
5. What is the best concert/gig you have ever done?
Ottawa Jazz Festival (Bob Brough/Stan Fomin Quartet), opening act for Herbie Hancock quartet, Montreal Jazz festival (Alexis Baro quartet), Canadian Smooth Jazz Awards Show (performing my song Flight 111).
6. What is the best concert you have ever attended?
Charles Aznavour (Roy Thomson Hall, Toronto), All Stars Italian Opera Singers with TSO (Massey Hall), Jeff Lorber and Friends, LA.
7. Do you have an all-time favourite song?
8. What musician would you still most like to work with?
Amhed Mitchel and Cuban friends, Alexis Baro, Bob Brough, Mark Kelso, Sasha Boychouk, Vickie van Dyke
9. If you weren't a musician what would you be?
Don't know. Maybe a checkers player I am now doing music and working part time in the natural medicine field.
10. What is your favourite thing about Vancouver?
WAVE 98.3 of course!
Vickie van Dyke ~ middays